Pet tragically electrocuted on Thanksgiving Day

Posted on November 27th, 2010 by master

Queen Anne resident Nancy Bostdorff and her daughter, Lisa McKibbin, have just lost a beloved friend—their dog Sammy. While walking Sammy along Queen Anne Ave N on Thanksgiving Day, he was tragically electrocuted. The unpredictable accident upset his family, and inspired them to help inform residents in the hopes of preventing other animals from being killed in the same way.

“He was walking along QA Ave, near Bricco, my daughter stepped aside to let another dog pass, and moved onto the electric plate near a lamp post.  He started screaming and went into convulsions, and died.  We took him to the emergency hospital, where they gave him CPR for 30 minutes, to no avail.  Seattle PD cordoned off the street, and Seattle City Light cut power to the block to investigate.  I just don’t want anything to happen to another dog,” Nancy Bostdorff wrote. “It is so painful.”

“The metal lamp posts may be leaking electricity, or there could be faulty wiring in the power plate that is not visible to walkers. I witnessed my dog being electrocuted, needless to say, it was excruciatingly painful for him and for me to watch. He died instantly. When I stuck my hand in his mouth I felt a shock from the electric waves emanating from his mouth. My poor baby!” Lisa wrote.

According to Lisa, electrical leakages on city streets are more common of an occurrence than most people realize.

“My mom and I would just like to spread the word out there, bring awareness to people to be extremely cautious of the possibility that the metal lamp posts on the Ave (or anywhere for that matter) could be leaking electricity, as well as steel plates on the sidewalk possibly having faulty wiring underneath the surface. We just don’t want to see any more victims, adult, child, or dog of this terrible hazard. This is a horrible horrible tragedy and should not happen to anyone else and their dogs,” she said.

Nancy and Lisa shared their story with Dr. Spencer at the Queen Anne Animal Clinic, who they say is planning to hold a meeting with fellow vets to discuss this deadly hazard. The family also filed a police incident report, which Lisa says they will be following up on this week.

“The police and Seattle City Light had shut down the power on the block and were checking the area,” she wrote. “We hope to find out if there was faulty wiring, leaking electricity, etc., next week.”

In the meantime, Nancy and Lisa offer a couple of resources on electrical leakages, termed “stray voltage”, which are unfortunately often only discovered after a pet has been lost. Read more about how to prevent your dog from becoming a victim of electrical shock on the street, and how to protect pedestrian, children and pets from such accidents.

Lisa is also starting a blog on Sammy’s behalf. “I want to cover the prevention of electrocution and dogs. I am learning not many people are aware of this, back east it has happened quite a bit, perhaps because they get much worse weather than we do, but lately we’ve been hit hard by Mother Nature,” she wrote. “Maybe together we can spread the word and save lives.” You can visit Lisa’s blog here.

Update: Seattle City Light has responded to the story here.

94 responses to “Pet tragically electrocuted on Thanksgiving Day”

1. Allion says:

What a sad story. I’m so sorry.

>>>he was tragically electrocuted. The accident shocked his family,

You might want to reword that. It sounds like the family got electrocuted as well.

2. Allion says:

What a sad story. I’m so sorry.

>>>he was tragically electrocuted. The accident shocked his family,

3. cat lover says:

So sorry to hear of this tragedy, I had no idea of such a thing occurring.

4. cat lover says:

So sorry to hear of this tragedy, I had no idea of such a thing occurring.

5. QARunner says:

Wow thats sad. WE have a GSP too and know how they really are part of the family.

This is an issue the City of Seattle needs to focus on rather than waste money on the many idiotic programs and continuing administrative waste. I cannot believe adults, children and dogs are exposed to hazardous live voltage in our neighborhoods.

6. QARunner says:

7. Laura says:

I am so sorry that happened. Thank you for educating people.

8. Laura says:

I am so sorry that happened. Thank you for educating people.

9. Neighbor says:

Shocking!

10. Neighbor says:

Shocking!

11. I’m so sorry. Thank you for sharing your story. I’m going to post is on my blog at http://www.seattledogspot.com to spread the word.

12. I’m so sorry. Thank you for sharing your story. I’m going to post is on my blog at http://www.seattledogspot.com to spread the word.

13. Kitty Cat says:

Many other cities have grappled with the same issue of electrical wiring being exposed within city light posts. Generally its not a large issue except in the ghetto and other parts where cities let the infrastructure go to garbage. Also, some neighborhoods have actually exploited the weak covers to steal electricity as well.

Once again I think Seattle can take a lesson from cities that accumulate snow/slush and perform periodic inspections of city light poles to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

Would it really hurt the city to hire some folks from the east coast? First it was snow handling then it was this. Whats next? Massive water pipe failures? The city needs to hire the clue so these kind of things stop happening.

14. Kitty Cat says:

15. Julie & Linty says:

Sammy Sam,
    We’ll always remember your enthusiasm and joy. You were the most fun in our Nosework class–and so good! We miss you Monkey-Man.

Lisa & Nancy, I’m so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. –Julie & Little Linty

16. Julie & Linty says:

Sammy Sam,

17. Sammy says:

Thank you all for your support and sweet thoughts for my Sammy. We will miss him terribly, I hope to bring more awareness on the deadly dangers of stray voltage that many of us are not even aware of–sadly, it is a widespread problem in many US cities. I am very worried about the public’s safety and our beloved pets. I will post more about how we can avoid stray voltage on my blog. Thank you again.

18. Sammy says:

19. ginny says:

Does anyone have a photo to share of what these “plates” look like? We visit relatives in Seattle but I cannot picture what your dog leaned against. What a senseless accident !

20. ginny says:

21. Yuppers says:

Kitty Cat – not just the “ghettos” in other cities; this was a big issue in NYC a couple of years ago, and was happening in relatively prime neighborhoods (the Village, Park Slope, etc). Granted, not the Upper East Side, but hardly Washington Heights.

22. Yuppers says:

23. Tucker's Family says:

Many tears in our home when we go this awful news. Our hearts ache for you. We so enjoyed seeing your funny Sammy in class. We know he was so loved and we are so sorry. Terri, Bart and Tucker

24. Tucker's Family says:

25. guest says:

“The unpredictable accident upset his family.”

used to be:

“The accident shocked the family”

Big edit. No admission they did so. No record at all except the reader’s memory, presuming no one is running that script that records screen grabs as frames like film

So the editors of this site removed my post criticizing their extremely poor choice of words (could easily be argued that there was malicious intent) and there’s no admission of such.

Nor is there any acknowledgment that they’ve EDITED a piece AFTER FOLKS HAVE COMMENTED.

That’s an enormous no-no in the blogosphere. Gigantic. At the best, you leave some contributors looking loony, and at the worst you compromise your integrity through a lack of transparency.

Again, brush up on your blogging skills Geeky Swedes.

26. guest says:

“The unpredictable accident upset his family.”

used to be:

“The accident shocked the family”

Again, brush up on your blogging skills Geeky Swedes.

27. acchas says:

@ guest – Gee, I guess what’s really important here is the blogosphere. C’mon man – get out from behind your computer and get a life.

28. acchas says:

29. neens says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Sammy. It turns out our Labrador was once shocked on that same block. She yelped and moved, and my husband tried to check for stray voltage, not sure what had happened, but couldn’t tell what the problem was. Now we know for sure what happened.

30. neens says:

31. Ruth says:

Funniest story I read all day!

Bzzzzzz BZzz dead doggies can’t blog!!

32. Ruth says:

Funniest story I read all day!

Bzzzzzz BZzz dead doggies can’t blog!!

33. LK says:

I’ve always wondered why my dog refuses to walk across metal grating, water meter lids, etc. Maybe this is why.
    Poor, dear Sammy. He sure was a handsome boy.

34. LK says:

Poor, dear Sammy. He sure was a handsome boy.

35. guest says:

“I guess what’s really important here is the blogosphere. C’mon man – get out from behind your computer and get a life.”

Umm, it’s called Journalism. I’ve got plenty of life buddy- I also have professinal standards, unlike you. Try getting an education.

36. guest says:

37. Susan Mullen says:

Nancy and Lisa, I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks to the original poster for the links to safety information.

38. Susan Mullen says:

Nancy and Lisa, I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks to the original poster for the links to safety information.

39. Thea says:

@guest,

An email was sent to you informing you that your original comment was moderated due to its violation of our Forum Rules (seen here: https://www.queenanneview.com/forum/topic.php?id=2), specifically the use of “obscene or offensive language.” The email you provided bounced back undeliverable.

40. Thea says:

@guest,

41. TKParker says:

I am so sorry for your loss, as a GSP owner myself I know what kind of sweet personality your precious Sammy had and his loss is OUR loss as well. God Bless You and your Family.

42. TKParker says:

43. Sammy says:

To NEENS-Response requested please
    Comment: 16 neens // Nov 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

**if possible, could you go to my blog and email me, another dog was possibly electrocuted last week, I am trying to get as much info and support for Sammy’s case. Thank you so much.

44. Sammy says:

To NEENS-Response requested please
    Comment: 16 neens // Nov 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

45. Kathy Nessler says:

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Our animals are our baby’s – part of the family. He was lucky to have such a loving family.

46. Kathy Nessler says:

47. ron says:

That did not need to happen. It is very easy to check for leakage with inexpensive equipment.

Few people are aware of the dangers that lurk in power poles, lamp poles, etc. The best thing is to assume that they are “hot” and never touch them.

Children should be taught this from an early age.

48. ron says:

Children should be taught this from an early age.

49. Lizzy says:

What a SHOCK!!! LOL

50. Lizzy says:

What a SHOCK!!! LOL

51. LC says:

Oh….that’s sad! I’m sorry for your loss!!

52. LC says:

Oh….that’s sad! I’m sorry for your loss!!

53. Ellise says:

How tragic… I’m sorry for your loss 🙁

54. Ellise says:

How tragic… I’m sorry for your loss 🙁

55. M. Gonty says:

How awful for that family!! Even worse is how awful it is to know that the city officials are aware of the problem but would prefer to bury their heads in the money that we tax payers provide to keep the infrastructure safe and secure for our families. Honestly when are you city officials (and I use that term very loosely) going to stop trying to set an example to how to be an idiot and start showing us that you actually want to do what benefits the people of your city. I challenge you to handle this and the next snow fall with more dignity than you have shown us in the past. Why do you think the rest of the country uses salt on the roads you numb skulls??
    You owe this family a personal appology for what they have suffered at your hands.

56. M. Gonty says:

57. Norm says:

Wow, I saw another dog get “lightly” zapped there a week before this tragedy. Now I know what really happened when that dog couldn’t walk and had to be carried by the perplexed owner.

This is horrible news. A big -1 to all the jerks who are trying to be funny.

58. Norm says:

This is horrible news. A big -1 to all the jerks who are trying to be funny.

59. Penny says:

My heart aches for Sammy’s family. I’ve never heard of such a thing happening on a sidewalk; I hope it brings some solace that Sammy’s loss has educated a city and hopefully changes will be made by City Light to rectify this hazard. RIP Sammy. You were a handsome boy.

60. Penny says:

61. Terry Abendroth says:

My daughter just told me what happended to your dog. I am totally shocked. I just walked my dog and two granddogs aong QA Ave. yesterday. Both of the male dogs love to smell te light posts-I can’t understand how the city could know about the problem and do nothing about it. I am so sorry for your loss.

62. Terry Abendroth says:

63. motorrad says:

Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately electrocution from underground short circuits happens much more frequently than we hear about. Cities and utility companies hate when these stories get publicized. I believe it was New York City that had numerous incidents a few years ago and a child was killed. Others severely injured. It is too bad that no matter how you work to protect your loved ones that these type of accidents happen. The day before this happened I was at Pike Pl. Market and was avoiding the cover plates as I walked. My friend asked what my problem was and I told her about the electrocutions. She rolled her eyes and made fun of me for being overly paranoid. She called to tell me about this terrible accident and was a bit freaked out about the timing of my comment and this accident she thought was so random. And of course about the tragedy of losing a companion. Get the word out and again, sorry for your loss.

64. motorrad says:

65. Sue Wilhelm says:

I want to send you my heartfelt sympathy in your tragic loss!! I can’t begin to imagine the pain you are feeling. I hope that time and memories will help to ease your suffering.
    I wanted you to know that the day before Thanksgiving my oldest son (30) and his friend were walking my dog in West Seattle when he stepped on the same type plate and started writhing and yelping. He fell over and my son thought he had stepped on something sharp, possibly even been scared by the cold metal on his paw. After a few moments our cocker spaniel, Max, was able to stand and they brought him home. Since this, he has been limping when he walks a great deal and is very timid when he goes for walks. After seeing the news story tonight, we knew what had made Max fall over and act so strangely.
    I applaud you for getting the word out about this “unseen” danger that we all come upon every day on our city streets. What a tragic way to be educated though. I shudder at the thought of this happening to any other person or pet. If there is anything that we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact me. I will be passing this important information on to everyone I know.
    With sadness in my heart,
    Sue Wilhelm

66. Sue Wilhelm says:

With sadness in my heart,
    Sue Wilhelm

67. I am so, so sorry for your loss, Lisa and Nancy. Sometimes there are no words.

68. I am so, so sorry for your loss, Lisa and Nancy. Sometimes there are no words.

69. acchas says:

@guest
    “professinal” standards? I think YOU are the one in need of an education. And some integrity, what with the false email address.

@QAView – thanks for bringing this safety issue to public attention. I’m sure many of us had no idea this was a concern.

70. acchas says:

@guest

71. guest says:

@acchas- my post was deliberately edited by somoene other than me. I have a screengrab that depicts the correct spelling. Just goes to show you what the editor of this site will do to save face.

BTW, I have a BS in microbiology from OSU, an MA in microbiology from UO and am currently part way through my PHD at UW.

How ’bout you?

72. guest says:

How ’bout you?

73. guest says:

MS, not MA, before you get all hissy. I’m working on papers right now.

74. guest says:

MS, not MA, before you get all hissy. I’m working on papers right now.

75. guest says:

PSS, my pants are on fire.

76. guest says:

PSS, my pants are on fire.

77. Dana says:

I used to live back East, and every winter there were certain street corners that every dog seemed to avoid. My 100 pound beast would buck and fight if I tried to go near it. At first I thought he was just being stubborn, but about a week after his strange behavior, a dog in DC died from electrocution on the same corner. I learned to trust my dog. RIP Sammy

78. Dana says:

79. afriye13 says:

@guest: I don’t think you’ve done much for your credibility here, but you do keep proving that you think you’re the focus. Pathetic.

Poor dog, sad for owners, but thank goodness it wasn’t a child.

80. afriye13 says:

Poor dog, sad for owners, but thank goodness it wasn’t a child.

81. eric says:

terrible. for anyone who has a pet, this would be very difficult to deal with. my heart goes out to the family.

82. eric says:

83. gmer says:

Just another good ‘ol “Geeky” Swedes site. Stealth updates, crappy web design, and page load times through the roof. No idea how to actually administer a wordpress site, just little bits of everything pieced together. Seems like just loading the main page my browser has to wait on a dozen different social network/widget servers, takes forever.

Where is the author of this story listed? You’ll never see it if you click through from “spotlight story” link on the main page, only if you scroll half way down the main page and find the story. None of the stories list the author once you click through to the comments page. If you are going to attempt to customize a wordpress theme, make sure you are halfway competent. Otherwise you’ll end up with a inconsistent monstrosity like we have here.

84. gmer says:

85. Homet says:

“Generally its not a large issue except in the ghetto”

What do you think Queen Anne is…it’s a ghetto of white people!

86. Homet says:

“Generally its not a large issue except in the ghetto”

What do you think Queen Anne is…it’s a ghetto of white people!

87. Homet says:

“have a BS in microbiology from OSU, an MA in microbiology from UO and am currently part way through my PHD at UW”

More proof that Seattle is filled with some of the dumbest, smart people you’ll ever meet.

88. Homet says:

89. Thea says:

@guest

You have been moderated due to the violation of one of our Forum Rules (https://www.queenanneview.com/forum/topic.php?id=2), specifically for misrepresenting yourself as another reader and commenting under that name: “acchas”.

90. Thea says:

@guest

91. Paul says:

I think this is more lazy/incompetent electricians doing the original work more than it is a simple maintenance issue.

If the original work was done to code, the exposed metal would be properly grounded, and any problem would trip an upstream breaker, and if not, at least keep the exposed area to ground potential. For the plates to either not be grounded, or grounded so poorly that it could corrode is just lazy and shoddy to the point of criminal negligence.

The fact this happens at all is pathetically stupid and tragic. It also horrifies me as a father to a 4 year old.

92. Paul says: