Food trucks may now park on city streets, for a fee

Posted on July 19th, 2011 by Laura Fonda

Say hello to more street food in the neighborhood. Last week the Seattle City Council approved a new measure opening up city streets to food trucks, voting for the bill on Monday. Currently street vendors have to make arrangements with the owners of private lots to park and sell goods on their land. The new bill will allow the city’s food trucks to park and operate on public streets. From The Seattle Times:

Trucks will not be allowed in residential neighborhoods, near high schools or within 50 feet of an existing food business. Some restaurant owners had expressed concern about competition from the trucks, which can do business more cheaply, in part, because they don’t pay rent or property taxes.

Food truck owners will be required to pay the city a fee in the amount of $2.25 an hour (in four-hour time slots), or $9 a day, to park and operate on its streets. In the event that more than one vendor applies to park at the same location and time, the city says it is planning to use a lottery system to determine which vendor wins the spot.

0 responses to “Food trucks may now park on city streets, for a fee”

1. seattlepastry says:

This is such a great step for small business folks in Seattle! Being a small food business person myself and having suffered losses at the hands of two cruel commercial landlords in this city, it’s nice to know we now have the option of being our own landlord for a change. Hurray for the small business ventures, it what makes our city so diverse and fun to visit! Thank you city council!

2. seattlepastry says:

3. jose says:

Nothing has ever stopped any one from being their own landlord!

4. jose says:

Nothing has ever stopped any one from being their own landlord!

5. Annabama says:

Hmmm … I park downtown to visit local business and I have to pay $4 an hour and do not have an option for a daily rate. These businesses get to park for $2.25 an hour and make money?? Also, who is going to clean up the mess from these food trucks? Have you ever seen a Sunday morning outside a hot dog stand – it’s disgusting! This is just going to drive brick and mortar cafes out of business, which should really help our economy.

6. Annabama says:

7. rodstewart says:

@ Annabama – “This is just going to drive brick and mortar cafes out of business, which should really help our economy.”

Other cities that allow food trucks still manage to retain their own brick and mortar establishments, how do you reason that Seattle would be the exception?

8. rodstewart says:

9. I think this is a great idea! All of the good food trucks I have eaten at all have their own trash cans and keep it clean. I have also eaten at those hotdog stands at 2am after a night drinking at the bar. The mess is left by a bunch of young “drunks” who do not care where they leave their messes. The food truck clientel are more civilized haha. Yes, I know eating with your hands while standing on the street may not be like sitting down to a nice lunch at a brick and mortar business. But sometime all I want is a little traveling food lite snack and to be on my way. I look forward to this alot

10. I think this is a great idea! All of the good food trucks I have eaten at all have their own trash cans and keep it clean. I have also eaten at those hotdog stands at 2am after a night drinking at the bar. The mess is left by a bunch of young “drunks” who do not care where they leave their messes. The food truck clientel are more civilized haha. Yes, I know eating with your hands while standing on the street may not be like sitting down to a nice lunch at a brick and mortar business. But sometime all I want is a little traveling food lite snack and to be on my way. I look forward to this alot

11. Matt the Engineer says:

Some of the best food I’ve had in the world was street food. It greatly increases the potential for innovation, as anyone with a bit of seed money and an idea can start a business. It’s depressing that street food in Seattle has always been limited (by law) to three items: hot dogs, coffee, and popcorn. Try to find innovation in that.

12. Matt the Engineer says: