Tent City 3 starts today at SPU
Posted on January 21st, 2012 by Laura Fonda
Eighty volunteers will help residents of Tent City 3 (TC3) move to the Seattle Pacific University campus today. This will be the first time SPU has hosted the group. TC3 will be located on Wallace Field, east of Royal Brougham Pavilion on West Nickerson Street, through March 24.
Even before they arrive on campus, SPU students, faculty, and staff, along with 27 local churches and organizations, have already lined up to welcome and serve the new neighbors.
Some of the SPU community projects include:
- Weekly forums on homelessness and poverty. http://spu.edu/events/tent-city/events.asp
- Nursing faculty members and students will host weekly clinics to provide basic health care, education, and referrals.
- Sociology professors and students are working on several projects, including a research survey on perceptions of homelessness.
- Two basketball home games will have sock and blanket drives.
- SPU’s Campus Dining services will deliver daily leftovers.
SPU’s website for the TC3 visit is http://spu.edu/events/tent-city/index.asp. TC3 has about 100 homeless people.