SPU students embrace Tent City residents

Posted on February 24th, 2012 by Laura Fonda

One month into the two-month stay at Wallace Field on the Seattle Pacific University campus, residents say they’ve been embraced by the students.

The 80 or so residents have been given student ID cards with $10 on each card to be spent in the student union or go watch a sporting event.

“They make us feel like real people. There was talk of some students who weren’t real hip on us being here, but I couldn’t tell you who they were because everybody has been so gracious,” Tent City resident Tracy Arant tells Rachel Belle of Kiro RM. “You’re on the bus and they’ll start a conversation with you. They come down all during the day and hang out. When you’re used to be looked down on for being homeless, or people are leery of you or afraid of you because they they think you’re gonna rob them or kill them or something. These people, it seems like they really do understand that we’re them, just in an unfortunate set of circumstances.”

Click here to read more about the relationship between the students and residents.

0 responses to “SPU students embrace Tent City residents”

1. Geeky Swedes says:

Hi folks, we deleted a few comments here that were headed south in a hurry.

We’ve received several complaints recently about the quality of comments, and we just posted an update in the forum to hear your feedback about the idea to switch to Facebook comments: http://www.queenanneview.com/forum/topic.php?id=3244

2. Geeky Swedes says:

Hi folks, we deleted a few comments here that were headed south in a hurry.

3. JBL says:

Thank-you for moderating the comments. It is GREATLY appreciated, and I do hope you will follow the Ballard lead and use FB for the comments while the forum can handle the rest of the topics.

We live very near to Tent City at SPU and have been so impressed with its operation. Glad to know we have another month since we hope to volunteer in some way, too.

4. JBL says:

5. QA Hill says:

I also hope that they go to FB commenting, although I have noticed that there is also a fair amount of spam in the forums. A clean up in there is nice too.

6. QA Hill says:

7. Heather says:

Please remember there are those who do not use facebook and changing to FB only policy will mean some of us can not participate in the conversation.

8. Heather says:

9. Judy says:

Your censorship of comments is ridiculous.

My comment on the bus story was, “Buses are for the poor.” Why was that deleted (twice)? Is this blog so politically correct that speaking the truth is not even allowed?

Facebook is a draconian solution. Studies show people on Facebook only share shallow, sugary sentiment. Puke! Residents of Queen Anne deserve better.

10. Judy says:

Your censorship of comments is ridiculous.

11. Judy says:

Seattle Pacific University, like many ultra religious institutions including the Taliban, offends me. They divide and judge people in the name of God.

Read about how gay kids at SPU are told God needs them to “change” in order to live a better life. Maybe that is why gay suicide rates are so high?

Read (on the SPU President’s blog) about how SPU thinks it is offensive – offensive! – for the ecumenical, non-affiliated American Council on Education to send cards that say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.” I guess the feelings of Jews and Muslims don’t matter.

I think SPU is an embarrassment to the good people of Queen Anne.

This comment will be deleted in 5.. 4.. 3..

12. Judy says:

I think SPU is an embarrassment to the good people of Queen Anne.

This comment will be deleted in 5.. 4.. 3..

13. Judy says:

The Facebook comments on the Ballard blog are mush. There is no debate and no different opinions. There is no character. Just bland and pointless agreement from the few that participate. People in Queen Anne can handle a few trolls in order to have a more spirited and intellectual discussion. People in Queen Anne are a little smarter and enjoy the debate about, for example, the bookstore. On the Ballard blog there would be 2 or 3 losers saying “oh, so sad.” Is that the kind of blog Queen Anne deserves?

14. Judy says:

15. David says:

I do not usually agree with Judy, but she is right.

Some people will never accept that their neighbors have a different point of view.

If you are going to use Facebook comments you may as well not have comments at all. Facebook comments are empty calories.

16. David says:

I do not usually agree with Judy, but she is right.

17. Susan says:

Does SPU allow a homeless man and homeless woman to sleep in the same tent if they are not married?

Religious bigots, masquerading as samaritans.

18. Susan says:

Religious bigots, masquerading as samaritans.

19. Leonora says:

What happens after two months?

SPU letting the homeless camp out seems like a publicity stunt to me. I hope this blog is there to take pictures on “moving out day.”

I am sure there will be lots of “embracing” on that day!

20. Leonora says:

What happens after two months?

I am sure there will be lots of “embracing” on that day!

21. Leonora says:

What’s Facebook?

22. Leonora says:

What’s Facebook?

23. Matt the Engineer says:

I agree with others here about Facebook – it has a chilling effect on comments. If moderating takes too much time, just make it a policy not to moderate. People will eventually learn to ignore the trolls and they will go away.

24. Matt the Engineer says:

25. tico says:

Seriously? You banned my IP because I said that the switch to FB comments killed the activity on My Ballard?

Are you a teenage girl?

26. tico says:

Are you a teenage girl?

27. tico says:

FWIW- IP banning is futile. Google TOR.

28. tico says:

FWIW- IP banning is futile. Google TOR.

29. dawg! says:

The blog owners can/should do whatever they choose.
    Since most of the comments(like this one from me) are not relevant to the story and simply an anonymous forum for passive aggresive blather, who cares.
    Keep up the reporting, and ignore the opinions.

30. dawg! says:

The blog owners can/should do whatever they choose.
    Keep up the reporting, and ignore the opinions.

31. MT says:

I am in favor of switching to Facebook commenting.

32. MT says:

I am in favor of switching to Facebook commenting.

33. tico says:

17 is correct. The owners can do what they want. So can the readers. Watch them leave if this switches to FB comments. Have you even looked at My Ballard recently? Ghost town.

34. tico says:

35. jimbob says:

So when track season starts will they move them into the gym?

36. jimbob says:

So when track season starts will they move them into the gym?

37. Judy says:

Honestly, I don’t want to be outed as a Troll so switching to facebook comments wouldn’t be in my best interest. How else would I be able to incite anger to fill my empty, shallow life?

38. Judy says:

39. Buzzako says:

I’m a graduate of SPU (early eighties). I didn’t exactly fit in, as I wasn’t into the whole Christian thing, but I have to say that I’ve never lived in a more sincerely compassionate community. As a gay man myself, I have to temper my own feelings with the background of the institution and its foundations. I’m not trying to defend against the bashers here; just sharing my experience.

40. Buzzako says:

41. Register Names says:

There are only 3 people who comment on here anyways, so who cares. They just use different names to troll or support whatever they want.

Bring back Thea.

42. Register Names says:

Bring back Thea.

43. Register Names says:

SPU is one of this country’s finest universities.

44. Register Names says:

SPU is one of this country’s finest universities.

45. Register Names says:

Donate generously to SPU and be grateful they have made Queen Anne their home.

46. Register Names says:

Donate generously to SPU and be grateful they have made Queen Anne their home.

47. Helen says:

What a publicity stunt! What happens after two months.

48. Helen says:

What a publicity stunt! What happens after two months.

49. KL says:

I’m a fan of getting my facts right. So in the interest of the truth, I’m going to add my thoughts here. The city of Seattle mandates that Tent City cannot stay more than three months. SPU students are excited and motivated by Tent City. Just like every time they move, Tent City will be picking up and moving to their new location, per city mandates.

Hey here’s a thought: instead of using a local blog to shoot ad homonym attacks at religion, why don’t you check out what’s going on down there. I can assure you it’s nothing more than a community that is living in conjunction with a local University.

And before you call me a bible-thumping conservative, I just donated to Barack Obama and will be voting for gay marriage if it comes up on the ballot.

I would hope that we would be less judgmental of a caring community of people. Because I can assure you that SPU is way less judgmental than the comments on here.

50. KL says:

51. Leonora says:

Yes now we understand. The Tent City is not about helping the homeless it is about making SPU people feel good about themselves. SPU is not a University it is a sick cult of bigots and hypocrites who hate and discriminate in the name of God.

52. Leonora says:

53. Leonora says:

Of course I could be the bigot full of hate.

54. Leonora says:

Of course I could be the bigot full of hate.

55. Judy says:

We should hang out Leonora!

56. Judy says:

We should hang out Leonora!