Scenes from the Queen Anne Running of the Bulls
Queen Anne-ers were out in full force dressed in red and white for The Comstock Commission‘s Second Annual Running of the Bulls on Saturday, July 9. Reader and runner Chelsea Nesvig snapped a bunch of photos of the run as it made its way from Paragon on Queen Anne Avenue, to Kerry Park on Highland.
Check out the rest of the photos of Running of the Bulls festivities in Chelsea’s Flickr album.
* Thanks to Chelsea Nesvig for taking and sharing these photos!
Weekend happenings: Queen Anne Fun Run, Running of the Bulls, Sidewalk Sale, outdoor yoga
Good thing there’s decent weather on the horizon because this weekend is packed with fun outdoor events in and around Queen Anne. There are not just one, but two opportunities to run through the neighborhood – one for charity, the other for kicks. Plus Seattle’s biggest outdoor yoga event, and the annual Queen Anne Sidewalk Sale. Check out Queen Anne’s weekend calendar:
Saturday, July 9
- Crown of Queen Anne Fun Run – Help support the Queen Anne Helpline by participating in the annual QA Fun Run. The 5k (3.3 mile) run/walk of beautiful streets on Queen Anne hill kicks off at 8 a.m. (walkers) and 8:20 a.m. (runners). If you haven’t yet registered, you may do so between 6:45 and 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. Day of registration is $35. Participants should gather at the Queen Anne Lutheran Church, located at 2400 8th Ave West. The Fun Run/walk will start at 5th and Halladay, and finish at Coe Elementary School. After the run/walk participants should reassemble at the Queen Anne Lutheran Church for awards, coffee, water, snacks and random drawings for prizes. Details here.
- 3rd Annual Yoga for Hope Event – Join hundreds of other yogis at the International Fountain North Lawn at Seattle Center for the city’s annual outdoor yoga event for charity: Yoga for Hope is an outdoor yoga event for yoga beginners and experts alike to bring awareness to the benefits of yoga practice for patients with life-threatening illnesses. Four of Seattle’s top yoga instructors will lead hundreds of participants in a two-hour class at the Seattle Center. The proceeds from the event will benefit research, treatment and education programs at City of Hope, aiding the treatment and research center’s efforts to expand awareness of the importance of the mind-body-spirit connection when battling cancer, diabetes or HIV/AIDS. The Yoga for Hope event was born out of City of Hope’s efforts to expand awareness of the importance of the mind-body-spirit connection and the hospital’s unique approach to utilizing complimentary and integrative therapies such as yoga and meditation in the patient treatment programs. Instructors from Queen Anne’s own Haute Yoga will be joining other teachers at the event this year. Registration $35 if done online by midnight tonight (register here), or $45 day of. Registration and vendor booths open at 9 a.m., with classes taking place between 10:30 a.m. and noon. Details here.
- 2nd Annual Queen Anne Running of the Bulls – In case walking/running it out over 3.3 miles of Queen Anne streets during the Fun Run isn’t enough, Queen Anne’s own self-proclaimed “division of the Queen Anne mafia,” The Comstock Commission, is putting on the second neighborhood Running of the Bulls on the very same day. Swing by Paragon Bar & Grill at 1 p.m. to join in the fun or just watch it unfold. And don’t forget to wear the Comstock uniform–white shirts and pants, a red scarf and “fast shoes”. Details here.
- Queen Anne Sidewalk Sale – If you feel like shopping in the sunshine, don’t miss Queen Anne’s annual summer Sidewalk Sale, which will be happening all day at stores up and down Queen Anne Ave N. We don’t have a full list of participating vendors, but many stores have planned sales and special events in years past. Many vendors also often extend the sales for the whole weekend, so if you can’t make it Saturday, you’ll have another chance on Sunday, July 9. Just look for balloons and big crowds!
Know of more events happening on the hill this weekend? Email us at email@example.com or comment below and we’ll add the event to our weekend calendar.
Queen Anne Running of the Bulls set for July 9
The Comstock Commission – a self-proclaimed “division of the Queen Anne mafia” – is up to more of its shenanigans this summer, putting on the Second Annual Queen Anne Running of the Bulls on Saturday, July 9.
The QA ROTB is taking place on the same weekend as the Pamplona Running of the Bulls, and on the same day as the Queen Anne Fun Run for the Queen Anne Helpline (though this even starts at 8 a.m., so enthusiastic runners will be able to make both).
For those of you who caught the Running of the Bulls here in Queen Anne last year (I was unfortunately out of town that weekend and missed it), you probably noticed Queen Anne-ers running about in the event’s uniform: white shirts and pants, a red scarf and “fast shoes”. If, like me, you missed the event last year, you can check out pictures from the first QA ROTB in the Flickr album.
If you’d like to participate in the Queen Anne Running of the Bulls this year, suit up in your red and white uniform and meet at Paragon Bar & Grill at 1 p.m. on Saturday, July 9, or swing by and watch the festivities unfold. Either way it should be a festival and fun event.
Check out another example of The Comstock Commission’s past pranks here.