Puget Sound Race for the Cure raises $1.6 million

Posted on June 10th, 2011 by Laura Fonda


You may have noticed a few more people wearing pink around Lower Queen Anne than usual last weekend. More than 13,000 people gathered at Seattle Center on Sunday, June 5 to help fight breast cancer at the Susan G. Komen Puget Sound Race for the Cure.

The daylong 5K run/walk was a big success, according to spokesperson Kaitlin Sandblom. The efforts of thousands of survivors, supporters, educators,
health care providers, and Puget Sound area companies combined to raise over $1.6 million to help spread awareness, prevent, treat and ultimately eliminate breast cancer.

The Puget Sound Susan G. Komen affiliate is one of the country’s largest, and the Race for the Cure is its largest fundraiser. In 2011 alone the foundation awarded nearly $3 million to local organizations and global research to find a cure for breast cancer. On average, 75 percent of its net funds go toward local breast health education, screening and treatment support, and the remaining 25 percent are earmarked for scientific research. From the press release:

Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among U.S. women ages 40 to 59, but the disease can strike anyone, at any time. As women age, their risk factors increase. Early detection is the key to survival, as well as following three easy steps: 1) regular mammograms, 2) clinical breast exams, and 3) breast self-awareness.

* Photo courtesy of Redbox Pictures


0 responses to “Puget Sound Race for the Cure raises $1.6 million”

  1. Winter says:

    Great hammer of Thor, that is powerfully hefplul!

  2. Winter says:

    Great hammer of Thor, that is powerfully hefplul!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.