Fire, death ruled accidental; memorial being planned
Posted on December 13th, 2011 by Laura Fonda
A faulty extension cord is blamed for a fire that destroyed a home at 18 W. Dravus St., and took one life, according a source close to the matter, and which was confirmed by the Seattle Fire Department.
The home was owned by Jim Fielder, a retired teacher, former screenwriter and novelist who had lived in Queen Anne most of his life. Fielder, according to his ex-wife, was asleep on his side in the bedroom on the second floor when the faulty extension cord ignited. He was 68.
Fielder’s cousin, Mar Hyde, who also lives in Queen Anne, is overseeing the interment process. She said Fielder will be cremated and his ashes will be distributed in an undisclosed location.
One of Fielder’s favorite places was The Mecca Cafe in lower Queen Anne. Hyde said she is planning a wake/memorial for Fielder some time in February. Donations for the memorial and for the cost of an obituary in The Seattle Times, would be appreciated. Anyone who would like to donate or volunteer at the event should contact Hyde at 206-282-8082 or write her at:
126 W. Florentia St.
Seattle, Wa. 98119.