Gates Foundation’s free Family Day celebrates Food for Good this Saturday
Posted on April 1st, 2014 by Laura Fonda
For its first free Family Day of the year, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center is hosting “Food for Good” this Saturday, April 5th. The event is family-oriented and designed to engage all ages with activities and performances focused on food and nutrition both locally and around the world.
The Visitor Center Family Day is free and runs from 10am to 3pm. Highlights of the day will include:
- Hands-on games and art activities that show how easy and exciting it can be to make a difference – one seed or book at a time
- Innovative tools and ideas that help farmers and families around the world
- Storytime with children’s book authors Katherine Pryor and Rick Swan who will lead kids in a discussion about gardening and the importance of trying new foods
- Family-friendly volunteer opportunities in your community
- Performance by Ocheami
- Sampling food from Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Nigeria
- Learning local and global food facts from different community organizations
Many community organizations such as Beecher’s Flagship Foundation, Bastyr University, Seattle Tilth, Solid Ground, and more will help make Family Day fun and educational. You can see the list of all participating organizations and RSVP online at the Gates Foundation Visitor Center Facebook page.